In the first phase of the research lifecycle, you set the basis for your research project. You select a topic, review specific literature systematically and identify research questions. The eRIC team will advise you on the various literature search and reference management services available at your institution.
Literature search strategies
You need to find, collect and edit the current specialized literature for your topic. This is much easier, if you know how to create a search strategy and access the necessary literature conveniently and quickly.Technical University of Munich
- Benefit from individual consulting in Drop-in Sessions.
- Learn how to search in online databases, locate information sources that are most important for your field and how to cite correctly in courses for PhD students as well as for scientists and non-academic staff.
- One-on-one consultation with a faculty librarian for in-depth research assistance. Find your faculty librarian.
- Familiarize yourself with the CPUT Information literacy program.
- Get access to library information resources by subject, e.g. databases.
- Get more information on library research support.
- Book a librarian: Benefit from individual consulting by a specialized librarian.
- Information events: Regular sessions covering a wide variety of topics.
You need an efficient reference management system to keep track of relevant literature. The eRIC team will advise you on support tools and training for their application. Librarians of different institutions published a Comparison of Reference Management Software which helps you to select the right one for you. The TUM Citation Guide supports scientists of all fields in citing correctly.Technical University of Munich
- Download the reference management software Citavi or EndNote while authenticating with your TUM ID.
- Introductory courses on the reference management software Citavi or EndNote.
- Advanced courses on the reference management software Citavi or EndNote.
- Citation course “Cite It Right” on how to cite various formats such as images, creative commons, unpublished sources, and research data correctly and on how to avoid unintended plagiarism.
- Use Mendeley to organize and manage bibliographic citations, export citations from databases or other resources during the literature search and use an options to format and create a bibliography.
- Get more information on referencing styles used at CPUT.
- Citavi is available as campus license.
- The university library offers regular courses on Citavi and Zotero . Individual coaching is provided upon appointment.